Short Story #2 - Good Deeds

It was a bright, sunny, morning, and I woke up feeling pleasantly happy. My sleepy grin turned into a look of shock at the sight of the clock. 8.50 AM!! My school bus would be down in ten minutes! I rushed out of my room clutching my toothbrush in hand into my parents’ bedroom to find them snoring peacefully. No wonder I’d slept in, then. I had a quick shower, shoved my books into my bag, tied my hair into a bun and ran out…
…to find my school bus turning the corner and speeding away in a whirl of gravel and dust.
I dejectedly began walking to school, sure that I was going to be late. As I made my sad way to school, the sky darkened and black clouds rushed in to hide the sun I had smiled at so happily earlier. Great, I thought. I’d always had this thing against rain.
In the next five minutes, it was pouring and I was completely drenched. I stood under a tree and was lamenting my plight when I noticed a little boy and a woman across the road. It was hard to tell, but the woman appeared to be blind. The boy was holding her hand. They were patiently waiting to cross the road, but couldn’t get a chance because the vehicles were coming far too fast. It was plain that the boy had never crossed a very busy road before from the scared look on his face. I felt very bad for them.
Then, suddenly, my feet seemed to develop a mind of their own. I got up and walked towards them. I held out an authoritative hand to get the cars to stop. Then, I crossed the road and helped the little boy and the blind lady cross over. I told them to wait under the tree with me until the rain lessened. They agreed and we soon began talking. I told them about my mad rush to school. As I mentioned that I’d had no time for breakfast and had forgotten to pack my lunch, the lady fished inside the pockets of her trousers and brought out a little tin container. In it were three biscuits. She offered them to me. We all took one each and ate them in silence. By then, the rain had dwindled into a mild drizzle. The boy looked up at me with a toothy grin and said, “Thank you.” Giving my hand a kiss, he grasped his mother’s hand firmly and walked away. I resumed my walk to school. Somehow, now, even the falling drizzle couldn’t dampen my spirits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Freedom?

Untitled #1

Sea And Me