Spoken Word Poetry #4 - Two's Company

This is the fourth in a series of poems written to be performed as spoken word poetry. The common theme is mental illness.
This particular poem deals with bipolar disorder.

Hello, hello, hello.
I'm sorry, I'm just a little nervous.
Please don't mind.

It's just -
Well, if I tell you a secret,
Can you keep it?

I'm actually a king. Yes!
It's true
Maybe you don't believe me -
You really don't believe me
But it's true!

Maybe, I can show you my crown some day
You'd like that? You'd like that?

Listen to me!
Why aren't you listening?
What is it about me that makes you turn away,
That makes you ashamed,
Why won't you look at me?
Just look at me, damn it!

You poor, pathetic little thing.

You'll never know what it feels like,
To swing up into the sky, floating on clouds,
Giving a new meaning to the word high
And then suddenly swooping down,
And doing a loop-de-loop,
And going up, and down,
And flying,
Flying faster than Superman,
You'll never know my joy,
You'll never reach my depths,
I'm more human than you will ever be.

I'm tired.
Tired of talking to you.
Why are you standing here?
Go away!
Stop looking at me.
Just...just let me sleep.
I'm tired. So utterly tired.

I'm sorry.
I'm sorry I was born with two souls in me,
When my body would tremble and struggle
Under the weight of one alone

I'm sorry I made you hate me
It's all my fault.

Maybe you should walk away now
Or I might pull you in
Two's company, they say,
Would you like to be my crowd?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Freedom?

Untitled #1

Sea And Me